turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using the Montgomery GI bill. Student loans to pay for school. Box 5 of my 1098-t = 0. What amt do I put in the q about the amt. of VA benefits that went towards tuition?

I am trying to qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Filing standard deduction. I used student loans to pay for school and the benefits to pay for living expenses.

If I understand correctly $0 from my benefits went to tuition.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Using the Montgomery GI bill. Student loans to pay for school. Box 5 of my 1098-t = 0. What amt do I put in the q about the amt. of VA benefits that went towards tuition?

It would be best for you t enter a zero there.  If you say your VA benefits went too pay tuition, then the tuition will not be able to be used to get a credit.  As long as your student loans provided enough to pay your tuition, then that tuition could be used towards a credit.  It's perfectly okay to do this as long as your VA benefits were not restricted to the payment of tuition.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

It would be best for you t enter a zero there.  If you say your VA benefits went too pay tuition, then the tuition will not be able to be used to get a credit.  As long as your student loans provided enough to pay your tuition, then that tuition could be used towards a credit.  It's perfectly okay to do this as long as your VA benefits were not restricted to the payment of tuition.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies