turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

close19

Is my return now less because of student loans?

I amended my return to add a Student Loan Credit... Now the Fed Return on the side is less than what it was at originally when I filed. Does this mean my return will be less  overall  because of the student loan form? That doesn't make sense right?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The refund meter during the amendment process only shows the differences between your original return and your amended return.  

Example:  Your original refund was $200 before the amendment.  You amend your return to include the student loan interest statement and now the refund meter shows you have a $40 refund.  This $40 is in addition to the $200 you will already receive, not a replacement.

Amended returns are processed separately from original returns, so you will receive your original refund first and then your amended refund will come much later.  It takes up to 16 weeks to process amended returns and they must be filed by mail.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The refund meter during the amendment process only shows the differences between your original return and your amended return.  

Example:  Your original refund was $200 before the amendment.  You amend your return to include the student loan interest statement and now the refund meter shows you have a $40 refund.  This $40 is in addition to the $200 you will already receive, not a replacement.

Amended returns are processed separately from original returns, so you will receive your original refund first and then your amended refund will come much later.  It takes up to 16 weeks to process amended returns and they must be filed by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies