victoriabirner

The amount in box 2 on my 1098-T is not matching the charges on my card used for education expenses. Should I follow the 1098-T or the expenses I have calculated.

KrisD

Box 2 is what the school billed and sometimes the school bills in one year but is paid in the next.

The IRS will base the credits on what was paid in 2016.

Enter the 1098-T as the school reported it, but click the link under box 2 that asks "What if this is not what I paid?" and enter what was paid to the school. This includes scholarships, grants, gifts, loans, and cash.

Use your student account statement or other receipt to prove payments and keep a copy with your tax file.