Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extenders: Form 8917 Tuition and Fees for 2018

Hey there,

I know this form isn't available yet because the IRS is still trying to slough through 2019 and got the tax extenders lumped in as well.  I know I will have to amend my tax returns and I'm pretty stoked to get money back but what will the process be when this tax form does become available?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

As of today, the Form 8917 Tuition and Fees deduction is available for both online and desktop versions.

See updates here: IRS tax forms updates

• If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software program, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top.
  • If you are using the online version, it's an automatic update when you sign in and out. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the update, I went into my 2018 TurboTax software and made sure it was updated. I selected the option to amend my return but it still says Form 8917 is not available for 2018.

Agreed, this does not seem to be available for 2018 yet. When will it be made available by TurboTax so I can get my amendment for 2018 completed?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the information below as it may be helpful in terms of Form 8917:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8917--2018.pdf

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
3DogsRule

I am having the same exact issue as everyone else on this thread.  I have tried twice now to go through the "Amendment" process using the 2018 software and although I qualify for the Tuition and Fees above the line deduction - the program is not recognizing it.  I did look on the IRS site and they do have the NEW Form 8917 for Tuition and Fees posted online.  On the form it notes at the top "Use this form for qualified tuition and fees paid in 2018, 2019, or 2020, and later years if legislation extends the deduction".  The problem is that the 2018 Turbo Tax program is not recognizing that the Tax Extender for Tuition and Fees was passed in January 2020 and made retroactive for the 2018 tax year.  Please look into this matter - as I'm sure there are many people that would like to amend their 2018 taxes and receive this above the line deduction.

Hey Katrina,

Yes, Form 8917 is available via the IRS for 2018. However, TurboTax has not updated its 2018 software to make the deduction available. 2019 is fine but TurboTax needs to update 2018 as well to allow it's customers to amend their 2018 returns. Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to print the forms myself and fill out manually. Please provide an update when TurboTax is going to update the 2018 software.

dawnkulas

I also need to amend 2018 for the tuition and fees deduction. Please update the software soon!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies