turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It appears that I was taxed on a student loan in which I did NOT pay tuition for that semester. So, I have to pay taxes, repay the principal and interest on it?????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It appears that I was taxed on a student loan in which I did NOT pay tuition for that semester. So, I have to pay taxes, repay the principal and interest on it?????

Yes, a scholarship not used for qualified education expenses is taxable.  This is considered income.  However, there is generally, no principal or interest on a scholarship. A scholarship is usually basically free money that you never pay back. 

If for some you will need to repay the scholarship, you can deduct the repayment from your income in the year you repay it. 

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p525-005.htm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Student loans are not taxable.  Was this a scholarship or a loan?

Sorry, it was a scholarship and/or grant. Not a loan

Yes, a scholarship not used for qualified education expenses is taxable.  This is considered income.  However, there is generally, no principal or interest on a scholarship. A scholarship is usually basically free money that you never pay back. 

If for some you will need to repay the scholarship, you can deduct the repayment from your income in the year you repay it. 

https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/pubs/p525-005.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies