aliciacameron23

Should I enter my 1098T for school?

My mother pays for college, however as of last year I am no longer a dependent. Will she still be able to claim education credits without claiming me as a dependent? If she's not able to claim these credits, should I enter my 1098T, or should I not as I didn't use my income for school? 

Hal_Al

Should I enter my 1098T for school?

Q. Should I enter my 1098T for school?

A. Yes, enter it on your tax return.

As you surmised, she's not able to claim the credits, since you are no longer her dependent.  However you are allowed to claim the credit, even though she made the payments.

Although the general rule, in taxes, is that you must make the payment to get the deduction/credit, there is an exception for education.

RayW7

Should I enter my 1098T for school?

No. Whoever claims the student as a dependent is the only one who can claim expenses for the credits and deductions. You are not able to claim any education credits for a non-dependent child. To be able to claim education credit, the student in question must be a dependent claimed as an exemption on your tax return.

RELATED TOPICS

Hal_Al

Should I enter my 1098T for school?

Should I enter my 1098T for school?  The answer to that question is yes.

Will she still be able to claim education credits without claiming me as a dependent?  The answer to that question is no.