williams-mark-m

Should I enter anything for employer provided assistance on a 1098-T if my employer has not paid me yet?

I received a 1098-T from my school.  The tuition listed on it is for a term that started in 2017 and ended recently in 2018 as well as a term that started recently in 2018, which is noted on the form.  My employer does provide tuition assistance, but only after the course is completed.  I recently have filed for reimbursement with my employer for the courses started in 2017 and once completed, I will do the same for the courses started in 2018 that were included on the 1098-T.  Do I enter that I received no assistance as I have not been paid back by my employer yet, do I skip the 1098-T entirely, or do I list what I expect to receive back, but have not yet?

They will pay me back, at least in part, for this amount during this year, and because of that, it seems odd that I may get a credit for last year despite the fact that my employer is likely to pay me this year.

LeeM

You should only enter what is on the Form 1098T and any other education expenses paid in 2017. 

If you were not reimbursed in 2017, I would not include it. Normally, when an employers pays for your education expenses, it would be included on your W-2 as a note (shown as non-taxable).