skipole

rounding in 1099-Q entry causes an error

TurboTax 2020 deluxe rounds each entry in the 1099-Q entry. As a result, Box 1 (Gross Distribution) does not necessarily equal the sum of boxes 2 (Earnings) and 3 (Basis). Due to this mismatch, TurboTax reports an error and does not let me keep the data.

For example:

Gross Earnings of $11,770.74 rounds to $11,771

Earnings of $801.49 rounds to $801

Basis of $10,969.25 rounds to $10,969

Now 801 + 10,969 = 11,770, not 11,771 so TurboTax reports and error and does not let me proceed.

Hal_Al

You have to "force it" to balance.

Enter  $11,771 in Box 1

Enter  $802 in box 2

Enter  $10,969 in box 3

skipole

If I understand your answer, you are proposing that I enter *incorrect* information into the software to accommodate a bug in the software.  The vendor should fix the bug rather than ask its customers to enter incorrrect information.

ThomasM125

Tax forms issued by the IRS do not allow for the entry of cents, so you have to round up numbers in order to complete them properly. Unfortunately, forms completed by those reporting tax information often do include the cents. So that is why rounding is necessary in some cases. 

skipole

I don't mind rounding numbers, but rounding them correctly. The problem with this page is that when you round the numbers correctly (versus say rounding up), the totals do not add up.

And Intuit has a page on how to round (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/the-irs-requires-that...) and it doesn't say to round up.

Please fix the bug already.

skipole

And it would also be great if you would stop sending spam just because someone posts on your boards. One post generated 3 emails about silly badges.