turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stone-jer

Residency question. Does the state I go to college in count if I live at the school in the summer, or is it still a my old state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Residency question. Does the state I go to college in count if I live at the school in the summer, or is it still a my old state?

Living in a particular state only for the purpose of attending school probably will not establish residency in that state. You may still have to file a tax return in that state if you have taxable income there, but you would file as a non-resident.

Residency is based on the concept of domicile. Your domicile is the place where you have family connections, lived and/or worked, belong to a house of worship, and, most importantly, the place to which you intend to return after you have been away. Once you have domicile somewhere, it remains until you move away and abandon the intent to return

So, if your domicile was the state that you moved from to attend school, and you intend to return there, barring future events (such as a post-graduation job offer), then that state is still you domicile, and is the place where you are a resident for tax purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Living in a particular state only for the purpose of attending school probably will not establish residency in that state. You may still have to file a tax return in that state if you have taxable income there, but you would file as a non-resident.

Residency is based on the concept of domicile. Your domicile is the place where you have family connections, lived and/or worked, belong to a house of worship, and, most importantly, the place to which you intend to return after you have been away. Once you have domicile somewhere, it remains until you move away and abandon the intent to return

So, if your domicile was the state that you moved from to attend school, and you intend to return there, barring future events (such as a post-graduation job offer), then that state is still you domicile, and is the place where you are a resident for tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies