turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting 1098-T when University changed its name (on 1098-T) and tax id from previous year

When entering 1098-T, TurboTax asks if I went to the same university as last year.  Truly speaking I did not change the university or department or anything.  But to enter the new tax id and name, I have to say no so that TT allows me to enter the new name and Tax id.  Is that alright?

Related to the above, the university did not report $ ### as tuition or scholarship.  Basically they did not add the summer tuition and scholarship in amounts paid or scholarships.  Should I report the full amount?

Thanks in advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Reporting 1098-T when University changed its name (on 1098-T) and tax id from previous year

You have two separate questions:

1. Should you say that you went to the same university last year?  For tax reporting purposes, no, you did not.  Since the university changed tax name and EIN, you will enter it as if it were a new university.

2.  Should you report the full amount of tuition paid and scholarship received?  Yes, provided you have proof of it.  Pull the yearly transcript the school provides, and if that information is different from what is on the 1098-T, use the correct information, and keep it available if the IRS should ask for it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You have two separate questions:

1. Should you say that you went to the same university last year?  For tax reporting purposes, no, you did not.  Since the university changed tax name and EIN, you will enter it as if it were a new university.

2.  Should you report the full amount of tuition paid and scholarship received?  Yes, provided you have proof of it.  Pull the yearly transcript the school provides, and if that information is different from what is on the 1098-T, use the correct information, and keep it available if the IRS should ask for it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies