Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to HVAC school for a month through a grant and received a certificate. Does that mean I was enrolled in a Certificate or Credential Program?

The school is licensed by the Commission for Independent Education and they have a license number. I also received an EPA License from them. I quit my job and went there full time.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Went to HVAC school for a month through a grant and received a certificate. Does that mean I was enrolled in a Certificate or Credential Program?

Most likely it qualifies.   Per the IRS, you can ask your school if it is an eligible educational institution, or see if your school is on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) code list or the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Loan Program list.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't qualify to receive federal student aid but I qualified under a WIOA grant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would that still qualify?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It does sound like you might qualify as a WIOA applicant, but I believe you need prior approval.  Here are several of the steps.

Meet the basic requirements to apply for the training and WIOA grant.

• You must be either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Applicants must have been laid off, with no opportunity to be rehired to receive training grants.
  • Evaluate your current skills. Anyone having difficulty finding a new job due to inadequate skills is eligible for the WIOA grant.
  • Register for selective service in a WIOA program. Male applicants age 18 to 26 must be registered to be eligible for the WIOA grant (see Resources).
  • Visit a One-Stop Career Center (see Resources). Express interest in the WIOA grant and ask about a waiting list. Most career centers maintain waiting lists for WIOA applicants and will assign these applicants to WIOA case workers as they become available. The wait may last several weeks.

Eligible job seekers can have up to $4,000 in financial assistance to pursue certification training programs like those offered by MedCerts. We provide students with personalized, short-term training to start a new career in healthcare or IT so you can compete in the job market.

WIOA Plans by State:  State Plans

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies