turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Rejection Related to 8863

I have 3 W-2's and some educational 1098T deductions. Extremely simple tax return. I cannot figure out why the IRS keeps rejecting my return. It's basically the same return I have filed for the last 3 years.

It looks like there could have been an issue with me checking a box that said I received a 1098T the year before from one of the schools I attended. I unchecked that box and resubmitted. I'm still getting the error. Any ideas?

I have double checked the 1098T info. It was imported from my prior year's return. 

The text that is showing up in the TurboTax notification email is as follows:
/Return/ReturnData/IRS8863/StudentAndEducationalInstnGrp/EducationalInstitutionGroup/PriorYear1098TReceivedInd - This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

When I use the TurboTax tool to help fix the error, this is what it's saying:

Let's take a look at your return
Description of error:
This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

What needs to be done:
We have identified an issue related to 1098-T. We have made the correction and will have an Update available on 2/1/2020. Please run your tax return through Federal Review and re-transmit your return after that date. If you continue to have trouble please print your return out and file by mail.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

there are a number of threads where folks complain about the 1098-T form; i have also seen threads where the bug will be fixed by Feb 12.  suggest waiting until then and resubmit

That was my gut feeling since I have not had problems previously. That and the info was imported from my prior year and the message said the issue would be fixed 2/1/2020. I'd rather wait than file by paper.

Thanks!

An intuit advisor suggested I removed and re-add my 1098T's. That appears to have taken care of the problem. I was able to re-submit my return and it was accepted.

merrills
Returning Member

My state NY does not allow you to file by mail if you used tax software.. It also wont let you efile if the federal return is not accepted.. Im stuck in a catch 22  .. i dont have issue with mailing but cant mail the state return.. What should i do?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

You have an exception to the New York regulation.

Print and mail both returns. 

Include a copy of the Federal return with the state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies