turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is 17 years old a full time student and does not work . So why didn’t I get the credit for him as well as my 13 full time student daughter

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

My son is 17 years old a full time student and does not work . So why didn’t I get the credit for him as well as my 13 full time student daughter

Because he is 17.  To get the larger credit, like you received for your daughter, your child must be under 17.  You should still receive a $500 credit for him though.  Child Tax Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $2000 CTC.  Instead you will get the non-refundable (up to) $500 Other Dependent Credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies