turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my child is 26 year old full time student, she has 8000 scholarship but her tuition is 25000, can I claim her as a qualify relative

If my child is 26 year old full time student, she has 8000 scholarship but her tuition is 25000, can I claim her as a qualify relative. I support her more than 50%. Thanks. Ad

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If my child is 26 year old full time student, she has 8000 scholarship but her tuition is 25000, can I claim her as a qualify relative

Yes, if she has less than $4200 of income.

Her $8000 scholarships are not considered income because it was all used for qualified educational expenses.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. Your child is too old to be a QC. 

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year   
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4200 ($4150 in 2018)
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, if she has less than $4200 of income.

Her $8000 scholarships are not considered income because it was all used for qualified educational expenses.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. Your child is too old to be a QC. 

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year   
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4200 ($4150 in 2018)
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

Thanks Hal_Al. Ad

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies