turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ep_marie10
Returning Member

If I am a part-time student who turned 24 last year, and whose part-time job was not enough to cover more than half of my living expenses, can I still be claimed?

As a part-time worker, I made more than $4,000 in 2019, however, it was not enough to support myself; therefore, I still lived/was financially supported by my parents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I am a part-time student who turned 24 last year, and whose part-time job was not enough to cover more than half of my living expenses, can I still be claimed?

Sorry if you turned 24 and made more than $4,200  you can not be claimed by anyone.   They can not claim you anymore.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

No.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

Since your turned 24, you cannot be a QC and the $4200 income limit now governs. 

Manage cookies