turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was enrolled in a college last years but I never went to any classes does that mean I can file that I was a full time student or not

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I was enrolled in a college last years but I never went to any classes does that mean I can file that I was a full time student or not

Here is the definition of a full-time student in IRS Publication 970:

Full-time student.  You are a full-time student for 2018 if during any part of any 5 calendar months during the year you were enrolled as a full-time student at an eligible educational institution (defined earlier), or took a full-time, on-farm training course given by such an institution or by a state, county, or local government agency.

If you paid tuition or received a scholarship from the college, you should get a Form 1098-T.  On that Form 1098-T the Box 8 (at least a half-time student) will be checked if the college considered you a full-time student.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

You can claim your education expenses. Take note that per IRS Publication 970 you are only required to be "enrolled". There is no actual physical attendance requirement, and there is no requirement for you to actually pass a course.

Understand that you are required to be enrolled as a full time student for any one semester that started during the tax year. The IRS does not define "full time student". Per IRS Publication 970, "The standard for what is half of the normal full-time workload is determined by each eligible educational institution." Therefore each school determines what they consider to be a full time student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies