turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I put that I paid less student loan interest on accident then I paid. Will this hold up my return or should I still get I in a timely manner

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I put that I paid less student loan interest on accident then I paid. Will this hold up my return or should I still get I in a timely manner

No, that will not hold up your refund.

Thank you! I was wondering because people who filed after me have already gotten their returns and I have not. So it will not be held up, 

@Hal_Al  Is it normal that people who filed before me are getting refunds before me? Thags what made me nervous, because I went back over my return snd realized 

Hal_Al
Level 15

There are no guarantees on what will trigger an IRS computer.  The two general rules are:

1. You don't get in trouble for taking a smaller deduction than you are allowed.

2. The initial filing is just checked for  correctness of the forms (and you refund processed).   Any income or deduction matching comes later.

@Hal_Al  Ok I’m sorry so maybe I’m not understanding that last comment. Refund being processed means I’ll get the refund. Then they check the numbers? Thank you for the help 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. It's more like " Then they MAY check the numbers".

You're looking for some sort of assurance that your refund is coming soon.  Nobody here can give you that. If you've already filed and were accepted, the bottom line is you'll get it when you get it.  Nobody but the IRS knows the checking process.  But, I'm pretty sure taking a smaller student loan interest deduction is low on the list.  The fact that you took any loan interest  is bigger trigger. 

Check your refund status here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

@Hal_Al  Not reassurance it’s coming soon, just questions on if they can “ hold” my refund lol. I’ve never messed up a number on my

taxes so naturally it makes me nervous, but thank you for the answers it is much appreciated. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies