turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I take off the lifetime learning credit. It is asking me to upgrade to get this credit and the american oppurtunity credit but I only want the aoc

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

How do I take off the lifetime learning credit. It is asking me to upgrade to get this credit and the american oppurtunity credit but I only want the aoc

The question is which credit do you qualify.

If you disagree to the option TurboTax program offers you, you can use the "letme" feature to replace. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box , type in letme and Enter 
  • Select  Jump to letme 
  • Next screen, Education Credits and Deduction-Do you want to change the education calculations? select Yes  and follow the prompts.

If you have paid qualified education expenses and meet certain requirements, you may qualify for an education tax break including the American Opportunity Tax Credit AOTC, Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition & Fees deduction. To see if you qualify, here are the links: 

Qualified expenses

Deductions

Credits

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aliciacameron23
Returning Member

I'm confused by this too because I did the "letme" and clicked my AOC but it's still saying I need to update to TurboTax deluxe for federal AND state, which is $85

I just got off the phone with them. Apparently the 1098T is no longer included in the free version of Turbo tax and requires us to upgrade which is $85. 

Is the 1098T no longer included in the free version of turbo tax? It allowed me to file last year free. 

aliciacameron23
Returning Member

that's some bull****. I feel like it's definitely understandable when it's lifetime learning or if you're using it for deductions, but for a credit? ridiculous and predatory for sure. 

kafinest

You will have to go back and completely delete your education info. You can only forgo submitting your school information IF the amount you were billed is larger than the tuition assistance/ scholarships you received. 

If you choose not to enter your 1098-T and are not going to claim the education credit AND did not have taxable scholarship income (scholarships that exceeded the tuition paid) you do not have to amend or include it on your tax return. Keep a copy of it with your tax records for at least three years.
nayomie1

So why are they advertising that students get to file for free??? Almost every student is going to have a Form 1098-T. My school fees are very very high since I am going to dental school. This is so unfair that free filing doesn't include Form 1098-T

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

There MIGHT be an IRS Free-File program that you could use. 

IRS Free-File

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies