turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do you have to file a 1098-T if you work for a University, do not pay any tuition due to tuition remission, nor pay any taxes because the classes are related to your job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Do you have to file a 1098-T if you work for a University, do not pay any tuition due to tuition remission, nor pay any taxes because the classes are related to your job?

If you do not pay tuition, then there is no out-of-pocket expenses to claim as education expenses. You do not have to file your form 1098-T.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Nobody "has to" file a 1098-T.  The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly the student has taxable scholarship income. 

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Though I did not pay any tuition, I did pay some fees which amounted to only $252. The tuition remission does not include fees so I have to pay those out-of-pocket. On my 1098-T, box 1 has $10,344 and box 5 has $10,092. Box 5 is the amount of tuition remission I received for the year and Box 1 is the amount of tuition remission I received plus the fees I had to pay. The difference between the two amounts is due to the fees I paid out-of-pocket. I just want to confirm I still do not have to file my 1098-T due to the $252 fees I paid for the year?

Again, I was able to get all of my tuition remission tax-exempt because the classes were related to my job.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  I just want to confirm I still do not have to file my 1098-T due to the $252 fees I paid for the year?

A. That's correct.

But filing the $252 might be worth a $50 tax credit to you.  It's a non refundable credit. 

If I were to file the $252 in fees would I enter that as the amount in Box 1, even though on my 1098-T it says $10,344?

When I entered my numbers as they appear on my 1098-T with $10,344 in Box 1 and Box 5 with $10,092, my tax due went up by $2,000 so I do not think I did it correctly. It also asked me some questions in regards to the $10,092 after I entered it and none of the choices seemed applicable to tuition remission.

Hal_Al
Level 15

What you enter does not have to match  the 1098-T.  That said, entering the 1098-T, exactly as shown, should get you the right answer.  So, you entered something wrong.

You can enter the 1098-T with $252 in box 1 and box 5 blank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies