turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone help me understand something about school district tax? In boxes19 and 20 there are two numbers, which exactly is local and which is school?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can someone help me understand something about school district tax? In boxes19 and 20 there are two numbers, which exactly is local and which is school?

Box 19 (of your W-2) is the amount of local income tax withheld. Box 20 identifies the local taxing entity (either a school district or a municipality) for which the tax was withheld.

If there is a 4 digit number in box 20; then it is, almost certainly, the school district. 

Ohio employers are only required to withhold for the work city, although many will voluntarily withhold for the resident city  or resident school district, as well.   You may have to ask your employer who got your local withholding.

If there are two numbers in box 19, then it appears you had  withholding for two taxing entities.  Box 20 would identify the entities.  It should not be two school districts (you do not pay tax to the work location school district, but you do have to pay to the work location city, as well as resident city).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

What state and what city?

Box 19 and 20 of "what??"  We don't know what you're looking at.

What tax year are you referring to?

If you provide more info, someone familiar with your state/city may be able to help you.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Box 19 (of your W-2) is the amount of local income tax withheld. Box 20 identifies the local taxing entity (either a school district or a municipality) for which the tax was withheld.

If there is a 4 digit number in box 20; then it is, almost certainly, the school district. 

Ohio employers are only required to withhold for the work city, although many will voluntarily withhold for the resident city  or resident school district, as well.   You may have to ask your employer who got your local withholding.

If there are two numbers in box 19, then it appears you had  withholding for two taxing entities.  Box 20 would identify the entities.  It should not be two school districts (you do not pay tax to the work location school district, but you do have to pay to the work location city, as well as resident city).

Ohio and for a W2

and 2016 for the year.

Its just weird because only the state is saying I didn’t do it and it took over two years for them to get ahold of me.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The Ohio School District Income tax (SDIT) is administered by the Ohio dept of taxation (ODT), the same people that do the state income tax.  So, if ODT is contacting you about 'local" income tax, it's SDIT, not city tax.

There are 2 state wide agencies that help Ohio Cities collect City Income taxes. One is CCA (Central Collection Agency) and the other, larger one, is RITA (Regional Income Tax Agency). There is a pull down list of cities, in Turbo Tax(TT), for both City Tax Forms (CCA) & RITA. TurboTax can only do RITA & CCA cities.  But many  Ohio cities use neither agency. These cities design their own forms and require you to use them.  You can get paper copies from the individual city. Most are available at the city’s web site. Many cities will prepare the tax return for you, but you have to go to city hall in person. Some may have on line filing (try the city web site).

Hal_Al
Level 15

It's not unusual for ODT to take 2 years to catch you for not filing a SDIT return. There's another, but unlikely, possibility: your employer  mistakenly withheld SDIT for a district you did not live in and you may be entitled to a refund.  To verify that you live(d) in a school district (or city) with an income tax enter your address at:

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/Individual/LocalTaxInformation.aspx

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies