turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone explain this in a non confusing way? "Scholarship reported in 2019 not allocable to 2019 expense"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Can someone explain this in a non confusing way? "Scholarship reported in 2019 not allocable to 2019 expense"

Think of it this way.  You are in school over a number of years and sometimes you will get a scholarship awarded to you in a year that is actually designated to pay for a different year of tuition.  

Here is an example.  Suppose you paid tuition expenses in 2018 of $4000 for the fall session.  Your 2018 Form 1098-T would show tuition paid of $4000.  Then in early 2019, your scholarship came through and you were awarded $8000, with $4000 to cover 2018 and $4000 to cover 2019.  Then your 2019 Form 1098-T will show tuition of $4000, but scholarships of $8000.  Therefore, you would enter that $4000 of that scholarship was reported in 2019, but not allocable to a 2019 expense.  This will keep that amount from being taxable to you since the scholarship amount exceeded the tuition that was paid.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CommUser

I understand the answer to the tax  question, the 4,000 should not count because it was simply paid late, in 2019 and the tuition was due in 2018.  But how does that go on a form? Thank you!

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

As you go through the Education section of your return and enter scholarship amounts, there is a question that comes up asking if any of the scholarship was not designated to pay 2019 expenses.  If you answer 'yes', then you can enter the amount that will be disregarded for 2019.

@CommUser

mattttttttttt
Returning Member

How about in following years? Let's say on my 2020 return I recorded $4k in scholarships and $2k of it as "not allocable" to that year, intending to use it the following year (2021). Does that mean that on my 2021 return I have to record that $2k under "Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships" or somewhere else?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes,

add that under "Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships" because the program won't account for it any other way since it is not listed on any tax form you are entering for tax year 2021. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies