turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grlych

Are scholarships taxable in New Jersey?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Scholarships and Fellowship Grants are taxable unless they meet all of the following conditions: 

1. The primary purpose of the grant is to further the recipient’s education or training; and

2. The grant does not represent payments for past, present, or future services or payments for services that are subject to the direction or supervision of the grantor (e.g., a fellowship given in exchange for teaching); and

3. The grant is not for the benefit of the grantor.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/1040i.pdf at page 26.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Scholarships and Fellowship Grants are taxable unless they meet all of the following conditions: 

1. The primary purpose of the grant is to further the recipient’s education or training; and

2. The grant does not represent payments for past, present, or future services or payments for services that are subject to the direction or supervision of the grantor (e.g., a fellowship given in exchange for teaching); and

3. The grant is not for the benefit of the grantor.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/1040i.pdf at page 26.

So does that mean I simply don't report what falls within those guidelines?
PSP
Returning Member

what does this mean?

"The primary purpose of the grant is to further the recipient's education or training."

My son received a scholarship that is enough to cover tuition and room and board, is that latter part taxable?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like it is non-taxable then.  What are you referring to when you say 'is the latter part taxable?'

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PSP
Returning Member

Thanks for replying.

For example, my child received a scholarship from a NJ state university that is enough to cover all IRS qualified ed expenses ( i.e., tuition, fees, books, etc.) as well as sufficient to cover room and board. The IRS says the amount not considered a qualified expense (e.g., the amount used for room and board) is taxable.  Does NJ do the same (i.e., part would be taxable) or since it is one scholarship only given so he would attend the school for educational purposes, is it all tax exempt?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.

New Jersey does not taxable scholarship income if it was used for education.  Any other amounts are taxable, including amounts paid for room and board.

See the excerpt from New Jersey below.

Scholarship income for New Jersey purposes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

It's taxable.

I asked that question at the New Jersey Division of Taxation web site. It took 2-1/2 months to get an answer, but here it is.

Question

The instructions say Scholarships  are not taxable if the  primary purpose of the grant is "to further the recipient's education or training." Room and board are not "qualified expenses" on the federal return.  Are scholarships that pay for room and board taxable on the NJ return or does room & board expenses meet the definition of "to further the recipient's education or training"?

Answer

"A qualified scholarship is fully exempt from New Jersey Gross Income Tax and withholdings under N.J.S.A. 54A: 6-8. Generally, tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment are excluded for New Jersey purposes.

However, additional compensation (amounts for general living expenses such as room, board, travel, etc.) paid in excess of tuition and the related expenses as mentioned above are included in income and not tax exempt."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies