turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If last year I was enrolled less than part time (only 1 class to complete) in college, is my mom still able to claim me as a dependent?

During last year I only took one college class, which is less than part time enrollment at my school. I was a full time student every year before and my mom has been able to claim me as a dependent and were unclear if she is able to this year or not. I am over 19 years of age. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

If last year I was enrolled less than part time (only 1 class to complete) in college, is my mom still able to claim me as a dependent?

Probably not. The requirements for claiming children between the ages of 19 and 24 who are students are quite a bit less restrictive than the rules for claiming adults who are not students.

If you were not a qualifying student, the following must apply:

• To be a student, they must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:

• A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school, or

• A student taking a full-time, on-farm training course given by a school described in (1), or by a state, county, or local government agency.

• The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive.

Since you were not a student, your mother would only be able to claim you as a dependent under the qualifying relative rules. Those rules are as follows:

1. You need to be related or a member of the household (living with her) for the entire year. As her son, you meet this requirement even if you did not live with her for the entire year.

2. Your income cannot be more than the exemption amount of 4,050 for 2016.

3. Your mother must have provided more than half of your support. The support test result is best determined by filling out worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies