turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joe002

For Form 1098, where is Box 8?

I'm trying to enter all of the information from a Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement, but I can't get TurboTax to show me Box 8 (where I should enter the property address). How do I enter the address? Note: There are two loans, one for a primary home and one for a secondary home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The mortgage lender puts box 8 on the 1098 that the IRS gets a copy of.   Only the dollar amounts go on a tax return that you file.   The 1098 "Mortgage Interest Statement" that TurboTax produces is for your records only and is not part of the tax return that goes to the IRS so entering the box 8 information into TurboTax would serve no useful purpose so TurboTax does not ask for it.

[1098 screenshot added]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

13 Replies

The mortgage lender puts box 8 on the 1098 that the IRS gets a copy of.   Only the dollar amounts go on a tax return that you file.   The 1098 "Mortgage Interest Statement" that TurboTax produces is for your records only and is not part of the tax return that goes to the IRS so entering the box 8 information into TurboTax would serve no useful purpose so TurboTax does not ask for it.

[1098 screenshot added]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
joe002

Oh, OK - thanks. Glad to hear it isn't necessary for the IRS, but it would be helpful to me if I could enter the address so I could associate the address with the mortgage.

It is - on the 1098 you received from the bank.

In the desktop version you can switch to the forms mode,  select the "Mortgage Interest Statement" and enter that on  line 8 if you wish.  That would be for your information only and does not get sent to the IRS.
joe002

I do have the desktop version, but I can't find the "Mortgage Interest Statement". I did find the "Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet", but it doesn't have a good/correct place to put the address. In TurboTax I searched for "Mortgage Interest Statement" and the help came up with jump to "Mortgage Interest Statement", but it just went to the Step-by-Step "Home loan deduction summary" page. I also searched for 1098 and the help came up with "Jump to 1098", but that also jumps to the Step-by-Step "Home loan deduction summary" page.

It is called "form 1098" and is the "Mortgage Interest Statement".   I will add a screenshot of the form in my answer box above (this forum does not allow screenshots in comment boxes).
joe002

Thanks for all of the follow-ups! Unlike you, I don't have a Form 1098 in my list. So I did some digging and found that if I hit "Open Forms", type in 1098, select Form 1098 , hit "Open Form", enter the lender name, and hit "Add Form" it is then added to my list and I see the same form you posted. Sure seems like the long way around, but it does look like the form you posted. Thanks for the information - I never would have thought to dig that far to see the form. I guess TurboTax must have all of the forms - even if they aren't tied directly to the tax preparation software.

That form is not created automatically since is is not required and only supplied if you want to keep the information for your records.  

Is Box 7 checked on your 1098?  If yes, Box 8 will not be filled in.  
If your 1098 has Box 8 filled in, check to see if you clicked that Box 7 was checked on your 1098.  
Hope this helps.
joe002

Hi, thanks for the response. On the 1098s Box 7 was not checked and the address is filled in for Box 8. On TurboTax I did not indicate that Box 7 was checked.

Sorry, I'm not sure then.  I have two 1098s, one had 7 checked, one didn't.  Box 8 came up for the one I did not click 7 as checked.  Good luck!
joe002

Thanks for the extra info - helpful! It seems that maybe there is a (new?) bug in TurboTax. I would like to post the version number, but the forum thinks I'm posting some account number or something. :S
joe002

Thanks for the extra info - helpful! It seems that maybe there is a (new?) bug in TurboTax. I would like to post the version number, but the forum thinks I'm posting some account number or something. :S
joe002

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies