Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Now that student loan forbearance is over, I'm sure I will get garnished. How can I make sure Turbo Tax gets paid instead of all of the money being taken?

When my refund gets garnished, they take all of it and leave me owing Turbo Tax. How can I pay Turbo Tax out of my refund prior to garnishment?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Now that student loan forbearance is over, I'm sure I will get garnished. How can I make sure Turbo Tax gets paid instead of all of the money being taken?

The IRS is not offsetting 2020 federal refunds for student loans.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

May I ask where you received your information? I am only wondering because I have just started receiving notices from my loan servicer demanding payments and threatening garnishment again.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Collection activities are currently paused through Sept. 30, 2021, which could protect your 2020 refunds as well. The Department of Education has said that borrowers with loans in default will be given the opportunity to enter a payment plan — which would prevent tax refund garnishment — before collection activities restart.

For confirmation you can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, (BFS) the department responsible for the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) and collections using taxpayer refunds due to debts which include student loan delinquencies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies