Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dnforrest

Refundable part of the American Opportunity Credit: Did I "earn over half my support" if my grandparent paid my tuition (low income, full time student)?

My grandparent paid my tuition ($10,000) and I was a full time student for 2018 (age 22). W2 Income was only $3500, but I'm filing single and not a dependent on my parents return (did the same in 2017, though did not claim the credit). I don't know if I can claim the refundable part if someone paid that tuition as my income was so low (i.e. does this mean I do not cover half my support). Any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Ashby

Refundable part of the American Opportunity Credit: Did I "earn over half my support" if my grandparent paid my tuition (low income, full time student)?

Not sure why you are not filing as a dependent because it certainly sounds like you are someone's dependent whether it be parents or your grandparent. You definitely did not earn over half your support if you have $3,500 in W-2 income.

dnforrest

Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies