Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No income but student

I go to school online and I didn't have any income this year. I did receive stipends from school that I used for bills and things. Do I need to file taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Phillip1

No income but student

You might have to file a tax return (and possibly pay tax). This answer will depend on what the “stipend” from your school is, and where the money is coming from.

If the money is from student loans, you will not have any taxable income and you will not need to file a tax return.

If the money is from scholarships and/or grants (including Pell grants) any money not used for qualified education expenses is taxable income on your tax return. Qualified education expenses includes the following items:

1. Tuition and Fees. This is usually reported on form 1098-T.

2. Other related expense for an eligible student that are required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution. This also includes books, or equipment that is required for your course work.

3. Student activity fees you are required to pay to enroll or attend the school. This includes activity fees that all students are required to pay to fund all on-campus student organizations and activities.

Unfortunately living expenses do not count as qualified education expenses. Therefore money from scholarships and grants spent on living expenses are taxable.

The final situation doesn’t appear to apply in your case, but I will go over it for the benefit of the community. If the money is from graduate fellowship or scholarship payments, you may receive a W-2 or a 1099-MISC. This money usually requires work from the recipient. The institution may choose to treat the recipient as an employee or as an independent contractor. If the institution sends a 1099-MISC, the recipient may be liable for self-employment tax. This is taxable income and considered earned income.

When you receive form 1098-T from your school, check boxes 1 or 2 (whichever has a figure entered) and box 5. If the amount in box 5 is greater than the amount in box 1 or 2, you will be required to file a tax return if the difference is greater than the amounts in the attached image below associated with your filing status:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies