There is a possibility that you may qualify for education tax breaks if you claimed your son as a dependent. If you already filed your return, you will need to amend it to add this information in. Here's how to amend:
- Sign in to TurboTax.
- Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
- If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
- Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
- Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
- When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments can't be e-filed.
Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income.
If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception. The TurboTax interview will handle this.