Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is in college living in the dorms. Student loans are paying his room and board fees. I am a co-signer on his student loan. Can I claim him as a dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anita01

My son is in college living in the dorms. Student loans are paying his room and board fees. I am a co-signer on his student loan. Can I claim him as a dependent?

Your co-signing the  loans has nothing to do with whether you can claim him.  If he is away at college, that's considered as a temporary absence from home and, if you are the parent with whom he would normally be living, you can include those months as time lived with you.

You are still subject to all the other dependent requirements, none of which have anything to do with his student loans. Go through the dependent questions under My Information to see if you meet all the requirements.

I mentioned the student loan because that is technically what is providing his support while he is at college.  So then who is providing support?  Is it him or is it us (we are both on the loan).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies