turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is a full time student

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You may claim your son as a dependent until he is 19 however the age limit is extended to 24 if they attend college.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

If your son is your dependent, you can claim a tuition credit based on his education (you "claim his 1098-T" even though it has his name and SS#). If you son is a full time student, he is almost certainly your dependent. 

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and Other ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status, a relationship test and residence test.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are excluded from the support calculation
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home, provided by the parent, is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Thanks for clarifying.  I am claiming him as a dependent.  Assuming it is OK for him to not file taxes. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.   Assuming it is OK for him to not file taxes?
A.  Being a fulltime student and/or a dependent does not exempt you from filing taxes.  The filing requirement is income based.

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported, at all, it goes on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2021 if he had any of the following:

1.          Total income (wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $12,550 (2021).
  2.          Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, unemployment, taxable portion of 529 distribution) of more than $1100.
  3.          Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1100
  4.          Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2300 ($12,550 if under age 18)
  5.          Other self employment income over $432, including money on a form 1099-NEC

Thanks for your quick response.  

Regards,

Harry

Just be aware that state filing requirements may be lower than Federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies