Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dquinlan

My son is a first-year student at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Will I get a 198T from them, and if not, how can I find their Federal ID no.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son is a first-year student at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Will I get a 198T from them, and if not, how can I find their Federal ID no.?

The educational institution should be able to tell the taxpayer if they will issue 1098-T.

For educational credits purposes, a foreign education institution may be eligible if it participates in the DOE student aid program. For example, foreign-based branches of U.S. institutions may be eligible institutions. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

A school in another country is not going to have a Federal ID
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I also have a student at the University of St. Andrews.  The school does have a US Federal School code for the FAFSA, but it does not work on the Turbo Tax online form.  Have you found a way to take the tax credit through Turbo Tax?

Where you successful?
will515

it is listed as an eligible school. but the code doesn't work
dlombardo

It doesn't work because it is not an EIN#
dlombardo

It doesn't work because it is not an EIN#

The educational institution should be able to tell the taxpayer if they will issue 1098-T.

For educational credits purposes, a foreign education institution may be eligible if it participates in the DOE student aid program. For example, foreign-based branches of U.S. institutions may be eligible institutions. 

timklahs1

98-0512283 for University of St Andrews

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies