rodyjr7

My son is 18 and in high school does he have to file his own return and if he does who where do I put the 1098-T on his return or mine?

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

You mentioned he is in high school--so not sure why he has a 1098T--but he is your dependent so that goes on your  return.  A dependent cannot claim education credits.

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

rodyjr7

He is in high school taking a few college classes.

Use the 1098T on your own tax return.
fanfare

Save your education credits for those years when the student is in college (expensive).
He probably does not have the "half-time" box 8 checked anyway.

True--Don't waste the 1098T on American Opportunity Credit--save it.  But the Tuition and Fees credit was just put back in by Congress.  It will not be in the software for at least several weeks.  Congress threw a monkey wrench into many tax returns with an act passed yesterday.