turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My high school daughter received a 1098-t for a concurrent enrollment class. what do I do with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PhyllisG

My high school daughter received a 1098-t for a concurrent enrollment class. what do I do with this?

Because your daughter is in high school, I am assuming that she is considered your dependent.  If she is, then you may be entitled to several education credits and deductions that will reduce your tax liability and/or increase your refund.  In other words, you can report the Form 1098-T on your tax return if your daughter is not required to file a return, or she states that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

I have attached an Internal Revenue Service link Education Requirements that will assist you in determining if you can claim any of the education credits and deductions on behalf of your daughter.

If you can, do the following to enter the Form 1098-T information:

• Select the Federal Taxes tab
  • Select the Deductions and Credits tab
  • Click the "I'll chose what I work on" button
  • Scroll to the Education heading
  • Click Start next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  • Begin navigating through the prompts.

I just had the same thing happen this year.  My daughter is a high school senior (she is still a dependent on our tax return but also files her own return) enrolled in College Credit Plus classes.  We received a 1098-T form for her tuition but we never paid anything for her to take these classes.  It's my understanding that they were paid for by either the state of Ohio or the college which held the classes through the high school.  Should I claim this form on my taxes?  On hers?  Or not at all since no money for her tuition ever came out of our pockets?  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Not at all since no money for her tuition ever came out of your pockets.

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. 

I have the exact same situation, so I now understand that the 1098t does not need to be filed.  My son did have a book expense though.  Can I file that expense, and if so how?

Here is how to report Education Expenses:

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Education
  • On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Or enter education expenses in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to education expenses

Please keep in mind that you can take a deduction for course-related books and supplies, as long as they are required to be purchased directly from the school.  Here is a TurboTax link with more information about deduction education expenses.

@timmichelle

Hal_Al
Level 15

@timmichelle 

No, you may not claim the book expense. 

For colleges students,  books purchased directly from the school count. but,  for high school students, books are not  a qualifying expense, unless included in the course fee.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies