turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

newbie-do

My daughter was away at college for 5 months and then returned home. Can I claim the housing costs at school for her support?

After the 5 months, she transferred to a school in town where we live and came back to live at home.  Can I claim the housing expense while she was at the out of town school?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter was away at college for 5 months and then returned home. Can I claim the housing costs at school for her support?

No.  Room and board are not qualified education expenses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No.  Room and board are not qualified education expenses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
newbie-do

Thanks, that answers most of the question and TurboTax tells me I am providing more than 6 months while she is living at home and is thus a valid dependent

Being away at school is just a "temporary absence" so you can still say they lived with you all year.

What are you asking?  Are you trying to figure out whether she provided over half her own support or are you trying to see if some education credit is available?  If the latter, then what xmasbaby0 wrote is the answer.

newbie-do

Thanks BobinCT, the education credit was answered by xmasbaby0 (as a "no") and she did not provide any of her support so she is my claimable dependent.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies