Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ppanth
Returning Member

My 1098-t box 1 is empty

There is a bill of 2065.65 which hasn't been paid yet but this is the information I received. 
Do I need to file this?
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.44.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.42.40 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

My 1098-t box 1 is empty

Q.Do I need to file this 1098-T?

A.  Simple answer: No. If box 1 AND box 5 are blank, you most likely have nothing to report. 

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or deduction or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T.

Q. There is a bill of 2065.65 which hasn't been paid yet. Will I be able to claim it when I pay it?

A. Probably not. If the bill is for 2019 tuition and you don't pay it until 2020, you may not claim a tuition credit on either your 2019 or 2020 tax returns.  Tuition must be paid in the year of the courses, with one exception; you may pay for the Spring 2020 term in 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies