turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is undergraduate tuition at a foreign (UK) university eligible for a tax credit in NY state? The university does not have an EIN number. There is no 1098T.

2018 return: I can't find a work around other than printing out the return and mailing it to the IRS. This university does participate with the US Govt administrating student loans and they do have a FAFSA id. I entered the UK school as a foreign university and tried 99-9999999. Turbo Tax rejects the return and will not e-file it.

Is undergraduate tuition at a foreign (UK) university eligible for a tax credit in NY state? The university does not have an EIN number. There is no 1098T.

SOLVED!! 🙂   For 2018 return, navigate to the "Student Information Worksheet" and you'll find the following yes/no question: "Are all School Employer Identification Numbers (EIN) known?" Answer "No". Then return to the 1098-T Tuition Statement and enter all zeros for Filer's Identification Number, 00-0000000. Voila! Now Turbo Tax will allow you to e-file the return without an error flag. 

Hi, I cant find an EIN no for Uni of Edinburgh, would you please share it here?

Thank you.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The Federal School Code is G06839.

Click here to look up and confirm your University Code: FAFSA Federal School Code Search.

When entering your details in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Type education credits in the search box
  2. Click the Jump to Education Credits link
  3. Do you want to enter your education expenses? Answer Yes
  4. Did you get a 1098-T for the year 2019?  Answer No and Continue
  5. OK Let's see if you qualify for an exception; Select I qualify for an exception and click Continue
  6. Follow the rest of the questions; be sure to
    1. check the box for the foreign address
    2. convert your expenses to U.S. Dollars

[social security number removed]

For US tax purposes the University of Edinburgh's identification number is 98-0031779. Mar 25, 2020

My situation is that my daughter attended the University of Exeter (FAFSA federal code G09442) in fall semester 2020. I used 529 funds to pay for the tuition costs. I distributed them to my personal account and then paid the university because I wasn't sure how/if I could pay the school directly from the 529 due to the USD -> GBP conversion. I can't find an EIN for UE and haven't received a 1098-T from the school, but believe I need to record this somehow on my return so that the IRS does not think I just took out the funds for personal use. I also would like to receive any education expense credit if possible. Does anyone have advice?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@rjord If your 529 distribution did not exceed Qualified Education Expenses, you don't need to enter it in your return; just keep it for your records. 

Click this link for more info on Reporting Form 1099-Q.

Since your school does have a FAFSA code, you can enter your Education Expenses without a 1098-T.  Without an EIN, you won't qualify for the American Opportunity Credit, but may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit or Tuition and Fees Deduction. 

This link has instructions for Entering Tuition Without a 1098-T

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
oracle

Regarding EIN's it seems that many UK universities have US EINs. The student simply needs to request the EIN from the university, and the university will send the EIN or a 1098-T. Oxford and Durham both have EINs. It appears that UCL does as well, as it is published on one of their websites (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/research-services/generic-information/ucl-institutional-information), although I would have the student contact UCL to verify that this is in fact a US EIN.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Yes, many U.K. universities have U.S. EINs - but many do not.

To get through the NY review and e-file your NY return,  enter a place-holder EIN (e.g. 99-999999) in the NY state tax interview for this education credit. 

alaindubois
Returning Member

What number should I use as I didn't received any document from the "Swiss Compensation Office" showing the revenues I received for the first time in 2020. I tried unsuccessfully 99-9999999, 00-0000000.

I also asked Swiss Compensation Office but haven't yet received any answer

Thank you

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I would suggest entering the income under "Miscellaneous income".   

In TurboTax Free online edition, follow these steps:

• After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, select Federal, from the top, select Wages & Income, scroll down to Less Common Income ( very last section on the screen) 
  • Click on Show more drop-down menu, scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-CStart 
  • Select Miscellaneous IncomeOther income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099Start 

An international tax treaty-related question is out of our scope for advice, unfortunately.  You would need to seek a professional who is specialized in this matter to verify the taxability on your US tax return.  If it it not taxable on the US return, under the same section as above, you would add a negative figure for an offset.  For example, if the income is $5,000, you would add (-$5,000).

alaindubois
Returning Member

Thank you for your quick answer

This income is taxable in the US and not in Switzerland (because I'm leaving in the US). Nevertheless I'll try to follow your recommendation and see if it works otherwise I'll seek a professional specialized in the matter

Robt1

Any idea how to find the EIN for the University of Roehampton?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to claim an educational credit for expenses paid at the University of Roehampton. It does not appear in the Department of Education’s database.

To be eligible to claim the credit, the school must be an eligible educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

See What is an Eligible Educational Institution?

@Robt1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies