Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bursaw

Is amount reported in box 12 AA a tax deduction? This amount is included in Box 1

Box 12 AA is for a 401(k) Roth, but it is taxed and included in my income in Box 1, why isn't Turbo Tax giving me a tax deduction for it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Is amount reported in box 12 AA a tax deduction? This amount is included in Box 1

Roth 401K contributions are included in income and are not deductible.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
bursaw

Thank you. I thought that pension contributions that are taxed at source were tax deductions. Is it because this is 401K instead of traditional?

Roth contributions are after-tax money and never deductible.  It is only reported on your W-2 - no where else.   A regular 401(k) would have been excluded from your W-2 box 1 income by your employer, a 401(k) Roth (designated Roth) is not.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies