Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Diva224y
Returning Member

IRS Verify

I received a notice from IRS they can’t verfiy my education tax credit with school. I’ll have to pay $2416...  I didn’t have 1098T on file I look at the school website. I was enrolled all 3 semesters in 2017.  I had pell grant and OBG wavier for the first two semesters then I lost it. I had out of pocket school expenses like books, tools I needed for classes. Should I amend my taxes on turbo tax for 2017? Or disagree with IRS send in letter with bank statements? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

IRS Verify

A 1098-T is not required if you have other proof that you were enrolled and paid for education.   It should be a qualified school if you had a pell grant.   Answer the letter with a dispute and sent (copies) of your proof.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
fbmatyear

IRS Verify

What exactly do I need to send as proof? I have received a similar letter.

leroystokes32
Returning Member

IRS Verify

Just read everything in the letter first. Then type www.idverify.irs.gov in your browser and click on it.  once you're there it's going to give you more instructions on how to identify yourself and all you have to do is answer them truthfully and the same exact way that they look on your taxes.

IRS Verify

@ Diva224y

If you do not agree with the notice, it’s important for you to respond. You should write a letter to explain why you disagree. Include any information and documents you want the IRS to consider. Mail your reply with the bottom tear-off portion of the notice. Send it to the address shown in the upper left-hand corner of the notice. Allow at least 30 days for a response.

Here is an IRS link that explains how to handle notices.

If you feel more comfortable having TurboTax audit defense, that is perfectly fine as well.  You will not have to correspond with the IRS.  You can get it for this year as well as past tax returns.  Here is a link to TurboTax defense.

@fbmatyear

@macuser_22

@leroystokes32

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies