Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LQ71
Level 2

In State Tuition

Hello-

My husband and I are living in a state where I'm getting a full-ride scholarship due to being in state and GPA. Recently my husband just got a job out of state and I want to know how can I continue to keep going to college as an in-state resident and not lose my scholarship. My kids and I will be staying in the same state while he will only move to a different state for the time being. Should we file separate taxes as he is supporting me, the kids, and the house?  Please provide any good suggestions that will help keep me continuing to go to college here and remain on in-state tuition.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

In State Tuition

You will be able to continue to file jointly as Residents of your current state, so you can keep attending school.

If your husband has a temporary job out of state, he will file a 'Part Year Resident Return' to that state, reporting income earned/tax paid there, but is still considered a resident of his home state. 

Here's more info on Allocating Income for a Part-Year Resident.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LQ71
Level 2

In State Tuition

Thanks, MarilynG1

Hal_Al
Level 15

In State Tuition

What are the two states?

LQ71
Level 2

In State Tuition

Georgia home state and Texas job state. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

In State Tuition

Texas does not have an income tax, so you will not be filing   a state income tax return there.

However, since you are maintaining your GA residence, the TX income will be taxable on the GA resident tax return. 

LQ71
Level 2

In State Tuition

Just the state part right?

Hal_Al
Level 15

In State Tuition

The federal return will be the same as always. So will the GA  return, since you are working in a no tax state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies