Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

If I am a college student but do not live at home and am not claimed on my mother’s taxes am I considered a dependent?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

If I am a college student but do not live at home and am not claimed on my mother’s taxes am I considered a dependent?

If your parents were eligible to claim you but didn't claim you, you are still required to check a box on your return that indicates that you were eligible to be claimed on someone else's return (even if they didn't claim you).


Below are the criteria to be claimed as a dependent:


There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules:

  • A qualifying child
  • A qualifying relative

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.


Dependent taxpayer test: The taxpayer, or spouse of the taxpayer if filing jointly, cannot be eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.


Married Filing Jointly test: If you file a joint return with your spouse, you cannot be treated as a dependent. (This rule does not apply if the joint return was filed only as a claim for refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if they had filed separate returns).


Citizen or resident test: The person claimed as a dependent must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that lived with the taxpayer all year passes this test if the taxpayer is a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.


Qualifying Child

In addition to the above, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions to claim an exemption for your child.


Relationship test: The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, or a descendant of any of these, such as the taxpayer’s grandchild, niece, or nephew.


Residency test: The child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2019.

  • Temporary absences (e.g., school, vacation, business, medical care, military services, or detention in a juvenile facility) are considered as time living with the taxpayer.
  • Exceptions apply under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents. See IRS Publication 501 for details.

 Age test: The child must be

• Under age 19 at the end of the tax year and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

• Under age 24 at the end of 2019, a full-time student for any part of five calendar months during the tax year, and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

 Permanently and totally disabled at any age


Support Test: The child cannot have provided more than 1/2 of his/her own support during the tax year. Welfare, TANF, and scholarships received by the child are not considered support.


Qualifying Relative


Relationship or Member of Household Test: To be considered a qualifying relative, a person must be:

  • A son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of these
  • A brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of these
  • A father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of them (does not include foster parents)
  • A stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or
  • Any other person (other than the spouse) who lived with the taxpayer all year as a member of the taxpayer's household as long at the relationship did not violate local law. Exceptions: Temporary absences for special circumstances such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military service, or incarceration count as time lived in the home. Also, the taxpayer's mother or father does not have to live with the taxpayer as long as the taxpayer is able to claim the parent as a dependent and paid more than half the cost of keeping up the parent's main home (including nursing homes) for the entire year. 

Not a Qualifying Child Test: The relative cannot be a qualifying child of any other taxpayer for the year.


Gross Income Test: The relative's gross income must be less than $4200 for the year. Gross income is all income that is not tax-exempt. Examples of gross income include taxable Social Security benefits, taxable unemployment compensation, and certain scholarships and fellowships (i.e., monies used to pay higher education expenses other than tuition, fees, supplies, books, and course-required equipment).


Support Test: The taxpayer must have provided over 1/2 of the relative's support during the year. This test does not apply to persons who qualify as dependents under the children of divorced or separated parents rule and multiple support agreements.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

If I am a college student but do not live at home and am not claimed on my mother’s taxes am I considered a dependent?

@breannlewis13 -

You haven't provided enough info to answer that question. The simple answer is if your parent doesn't claim you, then you are not considered a dependent.  But then, it depends on why doesn't she claim you.  In particular, what does "do not live at home" really mean?  


As previously explained, there are two types of dependents and the rules are complicated. I'll try to simplify them a little.  Most students fall under the qualifying child rules.

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

  1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
  2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.
  3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year. Being away at school, you are still considered living with your parent.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

  1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year  
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4200 
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

  1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies