turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myssiemv

If home is purchased with initial lender and then new lender take over do i have to submit a 1098 from the first one?

if first lender didnt send 1098 because new lender took over do i need to add 1098 info from first lender
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If home is purchased with initial lender and then new lender take over do i have to submit a 1098 from the first one?

A lender takeover is not a refinance.

You want to report all your deductible interest and taxes for the year.  If all your interest and property taxes are recorded on one 1098, that's all you need to enter.  If you paid interest to the first lender that is not on the 1098, you can add that (by entering the name of the lender and checking the box for "this lender did not send a 1098").

You would have to do your own research into your mortgage accounts to figure out your interest payments. 

Carl
Level 15

If you don't enter all 1098-s received, then you will not be able to claim the interest reported on those 1098's you do not enter. It's that simple.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies