turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tfabrizi

I paid my son's technical institute school bill by credit card. I believe I can claim it. Where do I show I paid $6,360 in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I paid my son's technical institute school bill by credit card. I believe I can claim it. Where do I show I paid $6,360 in Turbo Tax?

You should have received a 1098-T form from the technical institute school. A 1098-T is required for most education credits You may be able to claim a Tuition and Fees deduction if you are eligible for that. 

You should ask his school why they don't issue a 1098-T form, since virtually all accredited colleges and universities do. You may qualify for an exception to the requirement to have a 1098-T. 

To enter the tuition you paid, please follow these steps:

1. On the Deductions & Credits screen, in the Education section, click the Start/Update box next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  2. Continue through the interview and you will come to a screen, OK, let's see if you qualify for an exception. 
  3. Check the exceptions listed and if you qualify, mark the radio button, I qualify for an exception and click Continue.  
  4. You will be asked about expenses for tuition and other items.  TurboTax will calculate the credit or deduction that gives you the most benefit.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You need two things to claim  that:

1. The student needs to be your dependent.

2. To be eligible for the tuition credits or tuition & fees deduction, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they don't issue a 1098-T they are probably not an eligible institution (there are exceptions).

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

Carl
Level 15

Everything concerning education expenses is entered under the Deductions & Credits tab in the Education section. Take note that you only enter those expenses actually paid in 2020. It does not matter what tax year you paid *for*.

Also for others reading this, education expenses are not only for a college. There are a fair number of other educational institutions that qualify. Basically, the expenses qualify if the student is enrolled in a course of study that will lead to a degree or "credentialed certification". An example of a credentialed certification would be a certified dental hygienist.

Manage cookies