Expert Alumni


You should have received a 1098-T form from the technical institute school. A 1098-T is required for most education credits You may be able to claim a Tuition and Fees deduction if you are eligible for that. 


You should ask his school why they don't issue a 1098-T form, since virtually all accredited colleges and universities do. You may qualify for an exception to the requirement to have a 1098-T. 


To enter the tuition you paid, please follow these steps:

  1. On the Deductions & Credits screen, in the Education section, click the Start/Update box next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  2. Continue through the interview and you will come to a screen, OK, let's see if you qualify for an exception. 
  3. Check the exceptions listed and if you qualify, mark the radio button, I qualify for an exception and click Continue.  
  4. You will be asked about expenses for tuition and other items.  TurboTax will calculate the credit or deduction that gives you the most benefit.