Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When it says enter the total number of qualified student loans used to pay for your post secondary education, enter the original loan balances, what is that number?

I'm trying to enter in my student loan credit information.  I believe my loans are qualified but I am having a hard time finding the numbers they are wanting me to ender.  The amount paid, and I am confused on what it means when it asks "enter the total number of qualified student loans used to pay for your post secondary education, enter the original loan balances, not the remainder balances." Where are these numbers are they looking for?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When it says enter the total number of qualified student loans used to pay for your post secondary education, enter the original loan balances, what is that number?

I'm assuming you are filling out the MN student loan credit information.  They are asking for the amount you actually took out in loans to pay for school.  So, if you took out a $10,000 loan 5 years ago and have been paying it since then - they are asking for the $10,000 number - not what you have paid or how much left.

BUT - there is a $5,000 max original loan amount for that credit anyways - so if you know you had more than that in original loans, you can just enter $5,000.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

I'm assuming you are filling out the MN student loan credit information.  They are asking for the amount you actually took out in loans to pay for school.  So, if you took out a $10,000 loan 5 years ago and have been paying it since then - they are asking for the $10,000 number - not what you have paid or how much left.

BUT - there is a $5,000 max original loan amount for that credit anyways - so if you know you had more than that in original loans, you can just enter $5,000.

Thank you so much! That is extremely helpful!
mabtxmn

There's a flaw with Turbotax as it will only allow you to put in $5,000, even if your total loans were $35,000.00

@mabtxmn Its not a flaw.  Its actually the rule for the credit.  The applicable MN form only allows you to enter a maximum of $5,000.   If you take a look at the form and follow the calculations, then you can see Line 11 mentions the $5,000 maximum directly on the form.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/Forms_and_Instructions/m1slc_18.pdf">https://www.revenue.state.mn.us...>

This should allow the total to be entered in the field or a box to indicate the total was over $5k even if the calculation only uses the first $5k. Not allowing the total to be entered is essentially falsifying information on your taxes.
adamager

Added $5000 but it keeps saying there is an error

DarinB3
Returning Member

I also entered the same as other users - 5000 and 5000. either way says error. I've never had this trouble before. I'd go on Chat with an Expert, but it doesn't say if there is a cost, or not. Thanks to anyone who knows how to get past this.

ph810

having same issue :(

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Once your income is too high for the credit, the program fails during the review without letting you know the reason. Delete the M1SLC in order to file your return.

Here is the form.

Choose your method of deletion:

• Online: A simple way to delete forms in TurboTax online is to use the Tax Tools menu option, which is on your left menu bar when you are working in your program. Then, choose Tools and then Delete a form.
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the download TurboTax program, use the Forms Mode on your menu bar to bring up the form you want to delete, then choose the Delete Form option at the bottom of the form.

@DarinB3

@ph810

@adamager

@jtgilbert93176

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies