grashah

I’m a J-1 visa holder and I am wondering if I can put my younger brother as my dependent? since I send money to my family for his education.

KarenJ2

Assuming you are filing a 1040NR (you may wish to try our partner Sprintax, as they specialize in nonresident returns).  If you are a nonresident you cannot file your return in TurboTax.

You may be able to claim your younger brother if:

• You are a US national, resident of Canada, Mexico and South Korea and resident of India who were student or business apprentices.  You must be in this group to have a dependent on line 7 of the 1040NR.
  • An individual claimed as a dependent must be a citizen, national or resident of the US or a resident or Mexico.
  • He lived with you all year as a member of your household
  • He had less than $4,200 in income in 2019
  • You provided over half of his support,

Please see page 15 of the Instructions to 1040NR.  2018 Instructions for Form 1040NR