turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dms6526

I'm 25 years old, a full time student, with no income. I am eligible for student tax credit, but how do I file when I have no income to attach it to? I live off of loans.

My parents are going nuts that they can't claim me as a dependent because I am 25, but because of my loans and grant money I am able to pay for my needs, school, and any bills or transportation I have. I don't have an income because I go to school taking 23 to 30 credits per semester at a time. 

The IRS website says I have to fill out form 8863 and attach it to my 1040 or 1040A, but how do I do that if I have no income? How do I file it in general? Can I do it on TurboTax? What steps do I take? This is making my head spin.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm 25 years old, a full time student, with no income. I am eligible for student tax credit, but how do I file when I have no income to attach it to? I live off of loans.

If you have used the American Opportunity Credit 4 times already or you are taking graduate classes then there is no education credit for you to take.

The American Opportunity Credit can only be claimed for four years so you must check to see how many years your parents claimed it with you as a student.  The AOTC is part refundable and part nonrefundable- so if you can claim it you can complete your return and try to efile it but you may be required to mail it (because you have no income).

If the AOTC had been claimed four years for you, the Lifelong Learning Credit is a nonrefundable credit which means with no income you would not get a refund.  

In Turbo Tax, be sure you carefully answer the questions about the scholarship, grants, tuition and expenses so that you receive the correct credit.  This is one of the areas that the IRS audits the most so please be sure to document and keep records for all payments that you made.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies