turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

busisgo

I hear Tuition and Fees Deduction has been extended to 2017 recently (2 days ago), but in TurboTax software, it does not seem to reflect that. Should I wait for update?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I hear Tuition and Fees Deduction has been extended to 2017 recently (2 days ago), but in TurboTax software, it does not seem to reflect that. Should I wait for update?

Yes, you will have to wait for an update from TurboTax since TurboTax is waiting for an update from the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6588379.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ToddL

Yes, you will have to wait for an update from TurboTax since TurboTax is waiting for an update from the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6588379.

pohep1

will there be any way to be notified once the changes are made? if not, could you reply to this thread once you are notified of any updates? it would be much appreciated.

I noticed that I should have qualified for a tuition deduction too, but TT didn't give it to me. I decided to print out IRS forms on paper and run through the numbers. Everything looks fine, I used the 1040A and 8917 Form and am going to send it in to the IRS. They have provided the forms. so who am I to doubt them? I do think TT could have given me a heads up on this, as I had to go through a lot to figure this out. This info should be out there for those of us paying paying paying for student loans, educator expenses and then more tuition on top f that!!

maglib
Level 11

@pjrice
You have to file an amended tax return... You can't just refile a new return if you already filed, it will just be kicked out.  This is because the law was changed after tax filing were already being accepted and TT had to wait for the IRS to update their electronic forms first.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Well, I am not planning on using TT. I still feel TT should have been clear and explicit about the whole issue. It was just glossed over and ignored and this is also why I am moving away from TT- the lack of transparency all around. I never know if I am answering TT questions correctly even after researching the IRS documents and instructions exhaustively.

@pjrice   Congress changed the law retroactively.  How can TurboTax tell you something before it happens (before Congress allowed the Tuition and Fees deduction)?

In this case Congress was the problem, not TurboTax.

Well, like I said, TT did not say a thing about the issue being a matter before congress. In fact TT did not give any explanation. The difference between the taxes TT said I owed and the refund I will be getting by doing a paper return (with much independent research- np thanks to TT) is significant.

In fact, I will now be going back a few years and re-calculating all my taxes to be sure TT gave me the best deductions and credits. It is so hard to figure out what TT is referring to half the time, I am never confident I am filling out the forms correctly. It is actually EASIER to have the hard copies in front of me, look up the relevant questions, and mail it off myself for free.

Why on earth would TurboTax tell you something that does not currently pertain to your tax return (a law that had expired, and was not yet renewed)?  About 99% of the bills before Congress do NOT pass.  Do you really want TurboTax to tell you about EVERY bill that is possibly before Congress, even though 99% of the proposed bills don't pass?

Right- TurboTax cannot possibly inform you what *might* happen, the most that TurboTax can do is change the software when something *does* happen.  Congress could have voted that bill down instead of passing it.   Retroactive tax law changes often take months for the IRS to issue changed forms after the law passes which prevents TurboTax from doing *anything* until the IRS releases the changed forms and then the IRS must approve all TurboTax changes before TurboTax can release them to you.     Tax software is not as simple as you might think since all tax software (and changes) must be approved by the IRS prior to release.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies