Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

17mendeza

I have only been paying a small amount of my student loan for a couple months. I have not paid enough to receive the 1098-E form. Do I need to select that i have been paying student loans in 2020, if

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I have only been paying a small amount of my student loan for a couple months. I have not paid enough to receive the 1098-E form. Do I need to select that i have been paying student loans in 2020, if

No, you can skip it and come back to it later if you choose to.  You are not required to take the deduction for student loan interest.  However, your lender should send you the 1098-E if you paid over $600 in interest and you may be able to find the document online.  It is easy to report it in TurboTax so if it is any amount that will help you tax-wise, I suggest claiming it.  

The interest you paid during the year on a qualified student loan used to pay for tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent is deductible. This includes both required and voluntarily pre-paid interest payments.

Student loan interest is reported on Form 1098-E. If you paid interest of $600 or more on a qualified student loan during the year, you'll receive this form from your lender.

Here's how to enter your student loan interest in TurboTax. We'll ask you questions to make sure you qualify and also calculate how much of a deduction you’re entitled to.  You claim this deduction as an adjustment to income, so you don't need to itemize your deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can deduct interest you paid, even if the lender does not send you a 1098-E.  You will need to prove your interest payments in some other way, usually by obtaining an account statement from your lender or their web site.  Save this with your other important tax documents for at least 3 years in case of audit.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies