turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a private loan to cover tuition for my son.I am a co-signer. I make monthly interest-only payments on the loan. Are these payments eligible for the deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I have a private loan to cover tuition for my son.I am a co-signer. I make monthly interest-only payments on the loan. Are these payments eligible for the deduction?

The loan must be a qualified student loan for the benefit of you, your spouse, or your dependent. Loans from a qualified employer plan don't count, nor do private loans from family or friends.

thanks Bsch4477,

what is considered a quaified loan?

this loan was strictly used for tuition.

thank you!

My son did recive a 1098-e and the loan is in his name.  I am the co-signer and claim him as a dependent.

can i claim the 1098-E or does he?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can claim if you have met two of the following requirements in order to claim:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in the tax year 2019;
  • You're legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan;
  • Your filing status isn't married filing separately;
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount which is set annually; and
  • You or your spouse, if filing jointly, can't be claimed as dependents on someone else's return.

For more information, click here:https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You do.  Since he is your dependent he can’t claim it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies