Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahasan82

I had a tax deduction last year for student loan interest payments, so am I supposed to consider my tax return from 2016 as part of my income?

When I was filing my taxes in 2016, I believe I received a deduction due to student loan payments in 2015. I saw a question on TurboTax that asked about including last year's return on my income. Do I include it on my income because there was a deduction? Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I had a tax deduction last year for student loan interest payments, so am I supposed to consider my tax return from 2016 as part of my income?

A refund of federal tax paid is not income and should not be claimed as such on your tax return.  A refund of state income tax may be considered taxable income but only if you itemized your deductions.  If you claimed the standard deduction a state income tax refund is NOT taxable.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

A refund of federal tax paid is not income and should not be claimed as such on your tax return.  A refund of state income tax may be considered taxable income but only if you itemized your deductions.  If you claimed the standard deduction a state income tax refund is NOT taxable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies